I decided a notebook cover (with a little notebook) was the way to go.
First I rummaged through my bag of scraps. These little triangles were given to me by a friend as leftovers from a quilt she'd made:
Then I found another scrap & made it a bit bigger:
I backed it with interfacing for stability and then did a bit of fancy stitching to jazz it up a bit (the colours are a bit off here the other 2 are more representative).
Finally with a little bit of elastic to hold the notebook inside it was ready to wrap up and post:
Anyway she loved it and was amazed to hear that it took an afternoon to put together. It would have been quicker if I hadn't been making it up as I went along.
I'm using my phone for photos at the moment so they're not wonderful.