Monday, February 25, 2008

Thank you

Thanks to everybody who left a comment or sent me an email regarding Blue. I've cried at every single one of them & am still very upset by her loss. Over the past year or so we've said farewell to too many animals or so it seems. However Tia, Monet & even little Vince had all long healthy lives & as they started to age I prepared myself mentally. Even though we were sad to say farewell we did it when it was their time to go. But I feel cheated about Blue as she was only 7 years old & far too young to die. She loved life so much & was such a clever dog. A couple of years ago I couldn't work out why I kept coming home to the kitchen door wide open until we saw her turning the key in the lock one day & open the door!

Annie on the other hand is a bit dense in the nicest possible way. She adored Blue & looked to her as a leader & playmate. She was howling whilst Blue was at the vets but is eating which is more than I expected. She's been trying to persuade the kittens to play with her which hasn't been at all successful. Lyra in particular adores 'her dog' but just doesn't understand Airedale Paw Slaps & Play Bows! Annie is bouncing around trying to get a reaction & the cats just look at her in a very superior way and don't bounce back much to her disgust.

I've found it really hard with just one dog as I wasn't prepared for Blue to go. The last week whilst we were waiting for her results I had a good idea it was terminal but it isn't the same as watching a pet slowly getting older & creakier. DH was at first very opposed to getting another dog citing finances (as prices have risen so much in the past year) but today I received notification of a decent bonus from work that I'd forgotten about so he's relented! I've found a breeder less than an hour away who has a 4 1/2 month old ADT dog puppy available. So DD & I are collecting DH from work tomorrow with Annie & we're all going to meet him. Hopefully the dogs will get along ok & if they do we could have a new recruit by the weekend. We've decided to get a pup rather than an adult via rescue due to the cats & also Annie's health problems. As she has severe von Willebrands Disease we need to ensure that she won't be attacked & I think a puppy is therefore the best way to go. I've decided to get a male this time as I don't want to replace Blue which it might seem like if we got a bitch & he'll give me something to focus on & help with the pain. In time I know that the photos of Blue will help but at the moment I'm still welling up every time I look at them.

10 comments:

Joy said...

You gave Blue a loving and caring home and it says a lot for you generous spirit to do the same for another dog.

Linda said...

It does sound like Annie needs a fellow ADT to play with. Take care x

Anonymous said...

It will get better as you know, and you're not the only one that wells up each time you see the photos, I just did it again. I hope your new little boy fits in beautifully and Annie takes to him like a duck to water. Disney and I will keep our fingers and paws crossed ;)

Harry said...

It's nice tohear abut the puppy. When Oscar died I could not even entertain the idea of another dog in the first weeks, even though so many people said it would help. We then heard about Harry, aged 10 who needed a new home urgently. We somehow felt we were meant to help him, and he has repaid us with so much love. He is a big gentle giant. Cassidy is now 5 months old and is from Oscar's breeders.

Blue wil never be replaced ion your heart, but rather she has opened it up to allow you to love another Dale.

Katy x

The Black and Tans. said...

We are crossing our paws all goes well when you visit the breeder and hopefully Annie and the puppy will get along just fine.
Molly and Taffy

Alice Yu said...

There is nothing like the enthusiasm of a puppy to soothe pain. I hope Annie and the little one fall in love!

Cybèle said...

I was wondering if you were going to get another dog! Hope it all goes well and Annie finds a more willing playmate in the puppy than the cats ;-)
I don't know if you ever read Goodbye Mog to your daughter when she was young, but it's a beautiful story (for children) about the loss of a pet. The first few times I read it, i couldn't read it without crying!

Molly the Airedale said...

Mitch came to us at 4 months old! It took me awhile to adjust but we're the best of friends now!
Our paws are crossed that this will be the perfect match!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Anonymous said...

Hi

Good luck with the new puppy.

Sarah

Spinningfishwife said...

I'm sorry, I've not been around much and so have just caught up with your news about Blue. What a sad thing to have happened. I'm really sorry.

Good luck with the new pup. I'm looking forwards to seeing some pix.